FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF BYRON
Sunday, October 25, 2020, 9:45 AM Worship
For those participating from home: Check in via Zoom (video & audio) Go to www.zoom.us, Click on “Join a Meeting. Telephone check-in (audio only) Call 1-929-205-6099
Prelude: “Toccata in D Minor” (excerpt) (Bach)
Welcome and Announcements
- Weekly virtual Coffee Hour / Tea Time on Tuesdays at 4 PM on Zoom. The access information is not the same as the Sunday service.
- During this month our pastor has focused on Noah and the flood, emphasizing that ‘Noah walked with God’. This month’s Bible Study will be led by Ruth Andes on Tuesday, October 27, 2020 at 7:00 PM and will continue that theme with ‘Surviving the Storm: God’s Guidance in the Wilderness’. We will explore the many ways in which God assures us that we never walk alone and what to do if it feels as if we have been abandoned. Hope to ‘see’ you there (on Zoom/telephone of course — please use the Coffee Hour access numbers).
- Choir is back! Join us on Wednesdays at 7:00 PM. Facemasks and distancing, of course. We allow for congregational singing, soft voices, with face masks. We allow you to remove your mask while seated at least 6 feet from others. While speaking, singing or moving around the aisles, the masks must go back on. We need to be mindful of others at all times.
- We continue to receive the Special Offering for Peace and Global Witness during October. One quarter of your contributions will be used to support of the Food Pantry at the North Bergen.
- Many thanks to all who helped with Sunday’s Turkey Dinner. Our team of volunteers did fantastic work in every respect. 430 people were served, and we raised $3,880! Thanks also for those who contributed food items and supplies. The support shown for our annual event was overwhelming and far exceeded expectations. We were completely sold out by 12:30 PM! Pictured to the right is our mascot, who entertained people waiting in their cars.
- Today, we have a special Sunday School gathering planned in the Dining Room, of course with masks and distancing. UNICEF is our theme.
Stewardship Moment – Robin Glazier
Call to Worship & October Scriptural Theme:
Wherever you are, wherever you are going, whatever challenges you face, we take heart from this Genesis story. Noah learned to walk with God, and so can you! “Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation; Noah walked with God.”
Hymn of Praise: #708 “We Give Thee But Thine Own”
Confession and Forgiveness
God’s forgiveness is as everlasting as the ages. God’s mercy is as wide as the seas.
Surely God will forgive our iniquities. God will restore a right spirit within us. Amen
Our Family! We welcome Barb Read as a new member today. We also celebrate the baptism of
Luke D. Geissler, presented by his parents Sarah and Matt Geissler.
For Children: “This Story is for the Birds!”
Scripture Genesis 8
But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and all the domestic animals that were with him in the ark. And God made a wind blow over the earth, and the waters subsided; the fountains of the deep and the windows of the heavens were closed, the rain from the heavens was restrained, and the waters gradually receded from the earth. At the end of one hundred fifty days the waters had abated; and in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, the ark came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
Message: “Hope During the Storm” Rev. James R. Renfrew
Piano Interlude: “A Hallow’s Eve Breeze” (D. Dent)
Offering & Prayer of Dedication (use offerings plates by the doors) 2021 Estimate of Giving commitment cards should have been received at your address during this past week. Please return them by Next Sunday. Thank you!
Hymn: #703 “Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me”
Prayers / The Lord’s Prayer (If on Zoom, please send these to Pastor Renfrew before Sunday)
Hymn: #687 “Our God, Our Help in Ages Past”
Blessing & Postlude: “Waltz Macabre” (L. Tallman)
- Today, 9:45 AM Live & Virtual Worship, with Sunday School Gathering
- Tuesday, 4:00 PM Weekly virtual Coffee Hour/Tea Time on Zoom
- Tuesday, 7:00 PM Bible Study
- Wednesday, 7:00 PM Choir – bring choir folders, masks, water bottles, and a joyful spirit!
- Next Sunday, 9:45 AM Live & Virtual Worship, and Stewardship Dedication
Offerings & Gifts: There are offering plates at the front and rear of the sanctuary where you can place your offerings as you enter or depart. No plates are passed. Or send offerings by check to: Byron Presbyterian Church, PO Box 206, Byron, NY 14422-0206. We have a secure on-line donation feature. Please visit our website at http://byronfpc.com and click the big “Give Now” button at the top.
- Our Prayer Chain is always ready for your prayers, contact Chrystal Britt by e-mail or text.
- Our November 8 our service will feature members of Mary Ann Blair’s hammered dulcimer group Resonance. We will also be celebrating three baptisms that day!
- If you are joining us on Zoom, please double-check that your microphone is OFF at all times.
- Church wi-fi access now available. Please visit our Web Page “Byron Presbyterian Church” and our Facebook Page “Byron First Presbyterian Church”.
- Sunday School has not been meeting until today, but at this point it will only be occasional. We have sent Sunday School packets to every family with children.
- Foodlink Free Food Distribution. At North Bergen Presbyterian Church on 3rd and 4th Wednesdays, 5:30-8:00 PM, and 3rd and 4th Saturdays, 9:30 – Noon. The church also welcomes your food donations. Many thanks to Jordan Sloat who is a steady volunteer there.