First Presbyterian Church of Byron
IMPORTANT NOTICE CONCERNING COVID-19 VIRUS
Dear Members and Friends,
As you are no doubt aware, the COVID-19 situation continues to develop, and we want you to know our latest thinking about its impact on our congregation. There are no immediate proven cases in the vicinity of Byron, though two cases have been confirmed in Rochester at this writing, but we need to be vigilant by following some reasonable precautions.
We are planning to hold our Sunday, March 15, 9:45 service tomorrow in Byron. Beyond this Sunday we encourage you to keep in touch with our Byron Presbyterian Facebook page for further announcements. We will also send e-mail advisories as needed. We ask that you share this information with family and friends who do not receive or check their e-mail.
Events may take overtake our most careful planning, for example emergency announcements from county, state or even national authorities, but, for the moment, we are proceeding with these plans for this coming Sunday.
- We recommend using caution and common sense in all public places, including the church.
- Please refrain from shaking hands or other kinds of touching. We will demonstrate a no-hands peaceful greeting to use on Sunday. The “elbow bump” is no longer advised, because the elbow is where people have been asked to aim their coughs and sneezes.
- Please make frequent use of hand-sanitizers in the pews, especially before and after worship; better yet, soap and water for at least 20 seconds in the washroom.
- We will not offer Communion this Sunday, as had been scheduled.
- The offering plate will only be handled by ushers.
- The Center for Disease Control has recommended that all adults over 60 who consider themselves high-risk (already immune-compromised, being treated for anything that suppresses your immune system, smokers, or those with heart disease or diabetes) avoid public gatherings. While worship is wonderful experience for our faith family, please exercise caution when it comes to attending.
- Another consideration is to maintain, as much as possible, six feet distance between yourself and others because of airborne particles from talking, sneezing or coughing. Admittedly, this is not easy to do in our sanctuary, but you get the idea.
- Please stay home if you are sick, and MOST importantly, make sure your church family knows if you need anything. This is a time when those of us who are not immune-compromised can be there for those who might be if needed (i.e. picking up prescriptions, groceries, etc.). Our primary concern is to keep each other safe while continuing to gather as a faith community.
We will continue to advise you about any additional precautions should circumstances change. Should it become necessary, we are actively exploring ways to present our worship service over the internet with streaming video.
Again, please share this information with friends and family members who may not have easy access to e-mail.
God Bless Us All!
Byron Presbyterian Church
Questions, Comments? Please call the church office 585-548-2800